The Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (SNFCC) is an architectural treasure, designed by the Italian architect Renzo Piano and with its glass-fronted multi-angular building impresses every single visitor. All its large wide-open spaces are designed in order to bring people together and the feeling is that it’s a city within a city. It has its own agora, library and a 400 m. impressive artificial canal, which was built to honor the ancient port that once thrived here.
It is definitely a must-visit place which combines tradition and innovation in such a charming way.
7 THINGS TO DO IN SNFCC…
1. Nostos Summer Festival: Music concerts, Ballet, Circus acts, Theatre, Park Games, Capoeira, Kayak, Climbing, Workshops each June. This year you may enjoy the Festival from the 17th until the 24th of June 2018.
2. Free Guided Tours: All guided tours take place inside the modern building complex set, the new premises for the National Library of Greece and the Greek National Opera as well as the interior and exterior public space surrounding the buildings.
- Park: The Stavros Niarchos Park has been designed with sustainable principles, ecosystems and the characteristics of a place that is in constant evolution. Enjoy the 1km walk daily at 18:30.
Meeting point: Visitors Center
Tour Duration: 60′
Number of participants per tour: 20 people
- The buildings of the SNFCC: Enjoy the tours from Monday to Sunday
Remember that pre-registration is required except for children under 8 years old.
3. Ride a Bike: Rent a SNFCC bike for both children and adults, have fun and enjoy the ride!
4. Permanent Exhibition “The Spyros Louis Cup”: Conceived and designed by Michel Bréal for the champion of the first Marathon race, the Greek runner Spyros Louis, the Silver Cup was awarded at the first modern Olympic Games in Athens in 1896; today, it is on permanent display at the SNFCC. This historic item was acquired by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation when it became available for sale by the runner’s grandson and now it is permanently on display at the SNFCC.
5. Free Computer Courses for persons aged 65+: Introductory courses in digital skills with simple and practical learning steps especially for novice users aged 65+.
- Monday-Friday: 00-12.00, 12.30-13.30, 14.00-15.00 (except from 17-24/06)
- Up to 16 participants
6. Park Your Cinema: Enjoy free movie nights of classical films. You don’t need to pre-register but you are advised to bring insect repellent, mat, blanket, anything for sitting on the ground that will make your night comfortable under the open night sky. Stay tuned on the official website of the SNFCC to find out about the monthly cinema program.
- Films are In English with Greek subtitles
- Where: The Great Lawn
7. Sailing and Kayaking the canal: Various innovative educational activities for children and adults. Sailing and kayaking lessons from the Kalamaki Yacht Club and the the Hellenic Canoe-Kayak Federation. Have fun with your family!
Useful Tips: Τhe Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center is fully accessible for people with disabilities
You may find more useful information about the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center and all its activities here
Enjoy this #TouriusExperience in Athens!
*Written by Polymnia Panagiotopoulou photo credit: SNFCC official website